Questions? Send us your details and we will contact you:
Facts About Termites
- Termite queens can live up to 50 years!
- At her peak, she can produce an egg every 3 seconds.
- After mating, the pair will never go outside and spend the rest of their lives in their nest.
- Kings and queens mate for life, but if there is no queen, a king will release pheromones causing a queen to be developed within his colony.
Signs of a Termite Infestation
- Damp around the bottom of the residence.
- Excessive Ant Activity
- Moist soil forming around the trees, in and around the garden.
- Cracking of walls.
- Termite comes from latin “wood” “worm”
- General groupings are subterranean, soil-dwelling, drywood, dampwood, and grass-eating.
- Subterraneans and drywoods are primarily responsible for damage to human-made structures.
- Flying ants are actually termites on their “nuptule flight”
- All termites eat cellulose in its various forms as plant fibre.
- Nests are made using a combination of soil, mud, chewed wood/cellulose, saliva, and faeces.
The need for Termite Control
So you reach into the cupboard, and the cupboard was bare – not only bare but not even there? Its more than now you see it now you don’t – because it will be standing there right in front of you pretending all is well till you touch it and it turns to dust. True Story.
Controlling the Fly-By-Nights
So you are looking for a solution now and different Pest Management Professionals are offering different things. Take a moment to understand what is being offered.
TREATMENT 1: Treatment to all POSSIBLE entry points, this involves a lot of drilling through concrete. Expensive but largely effective.
TREATMENT 2: Partial Treatment applied to only those areas where the termites appear to be entering the building. Moderate cost involved – limited time guarantee (6 months – 1 year).
TREATMENT 3: Simply treat the wood in infested areas. Low cost – temporary solution. (up to 6 months)
Smart Pest Solutions offer a thorough inspection and will run through a variety of treatments suited to your problem, with maintenance and follow ups to keep your property in one piece.